I offer private tutoring for the SAT, ACT, SSAT and ISEE
How to Improve Reading Comprehension (on standardized tests and for ALL reading!):
- Don’t set a timer; your goal is to comprehend deeply, even if this is time-consuming at the beginning.
- Revisit hard passages after a day or so. You will understand them better when you reread them.
- Review and understand each wrong answer; make lemonade! (use your mistakes to learn)
- Train yourself to read actively by making a passage map (after reading each paragraph, jot down the main idea in the margin).
- Use a dictionary (keep an on-line dictionary open and use it as you read).
- Experiment with various reading methods (try reading questions before you read the passages; try reading one paragraph at a time and answering those questions, then reading next paragraph).
Three times per year, my son Matt teaches a high-quality, low-cost SAT prep class at Norwalk Community College.
Print it out and take it, then call me for help going through your answers and learning fast!